Opening hours & Admission
Tuesday – Sunday 11 am – 7 pm
Thursday 11 am – 9 pm
Kunsthalle Wien is closed on December 24 and 25 as well as December 31 and January 1. On all of the other days the exhibition spaces are open during the familiar times.
Hygiene and Safety Requirements
We are looking forward to your visit at Kunsthalle Wien. Our staff members are instructed in the relevant hygiene and distancing rules and would like to make your stay at Kunsthalle Wien a safe one. They will also ensure that the maximum number of visitors allowed is guaranteed.
In order to keep you and our staff healthy, we kindly ask you to observe the following rules:
• Please bring proof of one of the so-called 2G rules – a certificate of vaccination, or recovery. For children age 6 to 12, the Austrian “Ninja-Pass” is equivalent to a 2G proof. For children age 12 to 15, the “Ninja-Pass” is valid on Weekdays, but not necessarily on Weekends: PCR tests are valid up to 48 hours.
• Visitors must wear an FFP2 mask at all times
• Children up to the age of 6 are exempt wearing a mask. Up to the age of 14, a tight-fitting mechanical protective device (tight-fitting mouth-nose protection) must be worn at all times.
• Please pay for your ticket on site, preferably cashless.
• Maintain at least two meters of distance from all people who do not live in your household.
• Avoid group-like gatherings and if necessary wait until you can enter certain rooms or areas.
• Please do not enter Kunsthalle Wien if you experience the following symptoms: Fever, cough, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.
• If possible, use the stairs and leave the use of the elevator primarily to persons who are dependent on it.
• For on-site events, workshop and tours we ask for your registration and proof of one of the so-called 2G rules – please bring a certificate of vaccination, or recovery. Additionally, you have to wear a FFP2 mask.
• For on-site events with more than 25 people, like openings for example, we ask for your registration and proof of the 2G+ rules – please bring a certificate of vaccination, or recovery as well as a PCR test. Additionally, you have to wear a FFP2 mask.
Please observe the general rules of hygiene:
• Cough and sneeze into a handkerchief or the crook of your arm.
• Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds and use the provided disinfectant dispensers.
For your protection and for the protection of our members of staff we have intensified the hygiene measures. All areas are regularly cleaned and disinfected. Items such as lockers, handrails, and headphones are disinfected as often as possible.
For further information please contact us at email@example.com, via phone +43 1 521 89 0 or ask our colleagues on site.
Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
General € 8 / reduced* € 6
Combi ticket for both exhibitions general € 12 / reduced* € 9
Students € 2
Children / teens (under 19) free
Groups (min. 10 persons) € 6
Annual ticket € 19
Free Thursday night
Free admission every Thursday from 5 – 9 pm
Kunsthalle Wien Karlsplatz
*Reduction: seniors; disabled persons; unemployed persons; apprentices; Berufsvereinigung / Berufsverband Bildender Künstler; Vienna City Card; art-card; Verband der Kunsthistoriker*innen; Filmarchiv Austria; Annual ticket holders of Museum der Moderne Salzburg, Kunsthalle Krems, Freundesverein Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein, and Museion Bozen; IG Bildende Kunst; Forum Club Uni Linz; Ö1 Club; Ö1 Intro; ImPulsTanz Workshoppass & ImPulsBringer Card; Gartenbaukino subscribers; Der Standard; WERKS-ticket; Werk X; alumnis of FH Wien der WKW; Filmcasino Club; Family Extra Card; EIKON Card; Tanzquartier Wien Club; Stadt Wien Vorteilsclub
Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
U2 / U3 station “Volkstheater”
U2Z station “Museumsquartier”
Kunsthalle Wien Karlsplatz
U1 / U2Z / U4 station “Karlsplatz”
Due to the legal requirements to contain the coronavirus pandemic, Kunsthalle Wien had to close from March until May, in November 2020, and from the end of December 2020 until the beginning of February 2021.
Of course we would like to compensate the lost time for all annual ticket holders: the validity period of all current annual tickets will be automatically extended by the respective duration of the lockdowns.
With the annual ticket for € 19, all exhibitions and events can be visited free of charge for one year including many additional benefits. We are looking forward to numerous visits and an exciting year together.
- Free admission to all Kunsthalle Wien exhibitions and events
- Reduced price ticket for one accompanying person
- Invitations to events
- Discount in the Kunsthalle Wien shop
- Discount on Kunsthalle Wien publications
- Reduced admission to partner institutions in Austria and abroad (Filmcasino, Gartenbaukino, ImPulsTanz, Kunsthalle Krems, Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein, Kunstverein Hamburg, Museion Bozen, Museum der Moderne Salzburg, Tanzquartier Wien, Werk X)
Our art educators introduce you to the works on view in our exhibitions and acquaint you with the exhibited artists and contemporary art at large. All guided tours may be customised to your needs and learning levels.
Public guided tours and art education formats within the framework of each exhibition are free with admission. Ranging from discursive overviews, topic-oriented tours, and curator-guided tours, to the “My View” tour series (where experts, amateurs and people of interest are invited to present their perspectives on the exhibition), the guided tour programs provide a host of possibilities for accessing and discussing the exhibition. Combined tours are also available with on-going collaborations with partner institutions such as the Kunsthistorisches Museum (KHM) or the Architekturzentrum Wien (AzW).
Organized tours for schools and university groups are free.
Guided Tours for Groups
For individual groups or corporate events, we offer tours available when booked in advance. The tours can be customised to particular interests. Tours usually take 60 minutes, with the option to include a drinks reception. Tours are available in German, English, Italian, French, and Austrian Sign Language.
Tourcost: € 50
Maximum group size: 25 people
We are happy to help you plan and prepare your visit. If you have any questions, please contact us via phone or e-mail, or schedule a personal appointment.
Kids & Families
We regularly offer workshops for children and teenagers that encourage participants to let their imagination and creativity run wild. The workshops provide insights into the exhibitions and the artists’ creative processes, and support children in acquiring practical skills and techniques.
Children and young people (under 19) have free admission.
We create community: Online Art Talks at Kunsthalle Wien
A changing world needs new forms of communication and togetherness. That’s why we offer online art talks on current exhibitions for groups. We believe that conversations and exchange about contemporary art in the current situation can be strengthening for everyday life – and a help to better understand today’s world.
All you need for the art talk is a laptop, a computer or a smartphone with a camera, an audio function, internet connection as well as the free communication program Zoom.
An offer for students, school classes and groups up to a maximum of 14 people.
The art talks are free of charge, based on the needs of the participants and can be booked in German as well as in English.
Dates and further information on the program at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our aim is to familiarize teachers with Kunsthalle Wien, its exhibitions, and contemporary art in general. We organize regular information events with guided tours through the exhibitions, where you can gain insights into our work and our educational program. Furthermore, we provide you with teaching materials with all relevant information about the exhibitions.
For more information about the educational programs of our exhibitions, please contact us or subscribe to our newsletter.
For school classes and student groups, we offer guided tours and educational formats to accompany all of our exhibitions free of charge. Pupils and apprentices can participate in Dialogical Tours, Art Talks, Tours behind the Scenes, and Workshops. All formats take the current exhibition as a starting point for a reflection on contemporary art together with our team.
Dialogical Tours (60 minutes)
Discussions about artistic strategies that address the pressing issues of our present-day society encourage critical thinking. Our art education team is there to accompany students in this process: they provide information about the artists and exhibitions, pose questions, and moderate the discussions.
Art Talks (90 minutes)
The implicit topics of the respective running exhibition are investigated in small groups with an extensive independent workshare done by the students, which is then followed by a joint discussion round. The aim is to stimulate creative thinking and reveal connections between contemporary art and the students’ own life worlds and experiences.
Tours behind the Scenes (90 minutes)
How long does it take to organize an exhibition? What types of professions are needed in an art institution like Kunsthalle Wien? And do artists actually earn a lot of money? On this tour we answer all the questions that usually no one dares to ask. We have a conversation about the making of an exhibition, visit the workshops of Kunsthalle Wien, and make a short guided tour through one of the exhibitions.
Workshops (120 minutes)
Filming, photographing, drawing, sculpting, or animating – we give students the opportunity to experiment with artistic working methods and access the rich spectrum of experiences and possibilities found in practical applications of contemporary media.
All art education formats support learning processes in the field of art and form a supplement to lessons in the classroom. They are tailored to the knowledge level and abilities of diverse age groups and are oriented upon all forms of schooling.
We are looking forward to your booking request via email@example.com.
At our regular information events we guide teachers through the exhibitions and provide insights into our work and educational program. Please register here for our newsletter for teachers so you won’t miss any of these dates!